Unlike cheaper paper air filters, performance filters are made of either foam or cloth (typically cotton). They’re more expensive, but they also last longer, in fact, depending upon the type and use level, a performance air filter may last for the life of your vehicle.
Other benefits of performance air filters include:
- Enhanced engine performance, horsepower, and fuel economy
- Improved dust and debris filtration
- Low maintenance
- Better air circulation
- Eco-friendly due to reusable materials
Types of performance filters:
- Foam: polyurethane foam filters offer excellent air flow due to the volume of air pockets contained in the material. They have injection-molded borders for a snug, custom fit that doesn’t allow debris through around the edges.
- Cloth: these are made up of multiple layers of cotton gauze braced on mesh wire and formed into pleats for maximum surface area to catch dirt and debris.
How to make sure you’re getting a good quality performance air filter:
- Decide on a material: Cloth is the most popular and is good for general purpose increased performance and long-lasting durability. Foam is superior in dusty or sandy environments, particularly for off-roading.
- Get brand endorsements from family and friends: People will recommend a product that has worked well for them, so old-fashioned word-of-mouth can still be the way to go.
- Choose a trusted name: Go with a well-respected name with a solid, enduring reputation. K&N is a well-known, experienced name in the performance air filter segment.
Changing the air filter is simple and straight-forward on most vehicles. Even though you will put out more money upfront for a performance version of this part, you’ll save money and time in the long run because of the extended lifespan and durability of these filters.
YourMechanic supplies top-quality performance air filters to our certified mobile technicians. We can also install a performance air filter that you’ve purchased. Click here to get a quote and more information on performance air filter replacement.